The Greek Orthodox Community of Albany was founded in 1922 when a committee of twelve Greek Orthodox immigrants met and decided to establish a Greek Orthodox Church in Albany. The Unitarian Church at 8 Lancaster St. in downtown Albany was purchased in January 1923 and was renamed the St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Church. They had three objectives: (1) to acquire a church building; (2) to establish a Greek-School for their children; and (3) to purchase burial grounds for the Greek Americans in Albany. After various repairs and redecorations, the Church was opened for worship on August 15, 1923. A year later, an adjoining four story structure at 10 Lancaster St. was purchased by the Greek-American Association and was used as a home for the Pastor. In 1938 Archbishop Athenagoras, the late Patriach of Constantinople, consecrated the first St. Sophia Church in Albany.
With the acquisition of the Church facilities by the South Mall project in 1964, the Parish began planning for the construction of a new Church and Parish Center on Whitehall Rd. During the interim period of construction, the facilities of the Episcopal Cathedral of All Saints were used by the St. Sophia communicants. In November 1967, the new Parish Center was completed and served temporarily as a Church. On April 17, 1969 Archbishop Iakovos consecrated the new St. Sophia Church. The Church is a combination of Orthodoxy’s traditional Byzantine architecture with the twentieth century. Membership comprises approximately 400 families partaking in the life of the Church through Choir, Sunday School, Philoptochos, Youth Group, Greek Language classes, Nursery School and various social and educational functions throughout the year.